Neil is a prominent figure in the WA local government sector. He has some 40 years experience in both country and metropolitan local governments. This includes appointments as Chief Executive Officer of local governments in the metropolitan area, the Wheatbelt and the Pilbara. As a result, he understands the variety of challenges that face different local governments, their CEOs, and their Councils.
Neil was a State Board member of Local Government Professionals WA for 17 years – including appointment as its State and National President.
Neil brings his expert knowledge of the sector to our Local Government team. He is one of the leaders in the Governance practice, providing strategic governance support. Neil's work contributes to the unique ways in which Civic Legal services local governments.
Local governments benefit from governance support that combines a rigorous approach to the law with a nuanced understanding of local government.
A pragmatic person with a “can-do” attitude, Neil aims to help clients achieve practical solutions. He is able to quickly assess their situation and work constructively with stakeholders to achieve positive outcomes.
"I am very pleased to be able to continue to make a constructive contribution to local government through my role at Civic Legal."
Representative on a large number of industry/Local Government Department study/review panels (past and present) including :
- 2014 – 2017 WA State Government’s Pilbara Development Commission - Ministerially appointed Board Member
- 2009 - 10 Australian Council of Local Government - Australian Local Government representative
- 1993 – 2011 Local Government Professionals Australia, Board member, including terms as State President (2004/06) and National President (2009/10)
- Represented LGPA (National) at the sister local government association conferences in New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom, Canada and United States of America (2008/11)
- LGPA representative on the Western Australian State/Local Government Council
- Portfolio Chairman (4 years) of the LGPA (State) Legislation Review Committee
- Local Government Department - Mentoring Program for Women in Local Government - Volunteer mentor
- WA Local Government Association (WALGA) - Public Library Stakeholders Forum - Member
- WALGA/State Government Negotiating Committee that developed the Local/State Government Infrastructure Sharing Better Government Agreement - Member
- Fellow of Local Government Professionals Australia (WA) and LGPA WA Medal recipient (2011)
- Currently studying for a Diploma in Financial Planning (Advanced)
- Diploma in Financial Planning (2018) - Mentor Education
- Australian and New Zealand School of Government (2011) - One of the inaugural Scholarship winners to attend the first Local Government Excellence in Local Government Leadership Program
- Canberra University (1998) - Local Government Senior Management Course (Scholarship)
- Australian Institute of Management (1993) - Executive Development Course (Scholarship)
- Curtin University (1989-1991) - Graduate Diploma in Business
- Technical Extension Service (1978 - 1984) - Diploma in Local Government (Clerk), Diploma in Local Government (Treasurer)
- Bunbury Technical College (1975-1977) - Diploma in Accounting, Certificate in Accounting