Alya has a wealth of experience from over 20 years in private practice and as in-house counsel. Alya became a consultant to Civic Legal in 2021 delivering solutions for clients in its Commercial/Local Government Team.
"Being a lawyer, I am trusted to assist clients to achieve their desired business outcomes in a practical and safe way. Throughout my career, this has been a stimulating privilege and I am grateful for, and look forward to, ongoing opportunity to participate in such business narratives."
- Drafting and advising on a wide range of contracts, including construction contracts, property development contracts, franchising agreements, joint venture agreements and purchase agreements and consultancy agreements.
- Advising on a wide range of commercial leasing matters, including complex leases with staged construction in retail leases.
- Advising on community leases and their renewals, assignments and surrenders.
- Overseeing incorporation of companies.
- Preparing governance documents such as shareholder agreements.
- Drafting mortgages, debentures, cross-collateral guarantees and acknowledgements of debt.
Property and planning
- Advising on a wide range of high level property matters, including relating to acquisitions or interactions with adjacent owners of freehold land.
- Advising on strata scheme matters.
- Advising on ownership and security rights under the Personal Property Securities Act 2009.
- Providing advice and representation in the Supreme, District and Magistrates Court in claims for damages for breach of contract, negligence and contraventions of competition law.
- Member of the Law Society of Western Australia
- Member of the Liquor Commission of Western Australia
- Volunteer at Northern Suburbs' Community Legal Centre
- Fremantle Community Legal Advice & Advocacy Centre
University of Western Australia
Bachelor of Laws (LLB) (1998)
Murdoch University, Western Australia
Bachelor of Arts Degree (2005)
Supreme Court of Western Australia (1999)