Civic Legal has undertaken a wide range of legal work for local government in Western
Whether it is a contractual matter, litigation, proceedings in the State Administrative
Tribunal or provision of advice to ensure the Administration delivers services in
accordance with the law, Civic Legal delivers clear and refreshing advice when it
is most needed.
Our services are enriched by the experience of lawyers who not only deliver advice
to local government but are also regularly engaged in providing advice and representation
private clients and commercial enterprises.
See below for some examples of the kind of work that Civic Legal does for local
Examples of Work Civic Legal does for Local Government
- Representing a shire in Supreme Court proceedings in relation to a ratepayer challenge
to the validity of a development approval.
- Representing shires in proceedings in the State Administrative Tribunal (“the SAT”)
against assorted aggrieved parties.
- Advising a shire in relation to the negotiations for and preparation of documentation
to permit the construction of a significant road.
- Advising and representing a shire in relation to its claim for damages against an
architect for inadequate design of a shire building structure.
- Acting for a shire on the transfer of land to a third party.
- Advising a shire in relation to claims of defamation as well as associated amendments
of council minutes.
- Advising a shire on its responsibilities regarding the management of potential flood
water damage claims.
- Advising a shire in relation to allegations of corrupt conduct on the part of a
- Advising a shire on the cancellation of a request for tender process.
- Preparing documentation of the leasing of shire property.
- Representing a shire in a high-profile Supreme Court case challenging constitutional
right of shire to collect rates.
- Preparing contract documentation and advice for the transfer of Crown and local
government land and associated surrenders of leases.
- Advising a shire with respect to proposed changes to conditions for development
- Advising a town in respect of councillor conflict-of-interest issues.
- Advising and undertaking work in prosecution of offences under the Dog Act.
- Damages claim against former employee who damaged shire property.
- Conducting review of shire contracts and advising on issues associated with the
amalgamation between two shires.
- Advising a shire with respect to its negotiations with a property developer and
a golf club.
- Acting for a shire in relation to a racial discrimination claim.
- Advising a shire in relation to the protection of shire intellectual property.
- Advising a shire on the extent of powers of council over the work of its administration.
- Advising shires on matters arising under WorkChoices Legislation.
- Advising shires on conditions for grant of planning approval.
- Advising shires on matters arising under the Aboriginal Heritage Act.
- Advising shires on validity of claims by Aboriginal corporations for exemptions
from paying rates.
- Advising a shire on particular provisions of the Local Government Act 1995.
- Defending shire from damages claim with reference to losses arising from controlled
burn by fire brigade personnel.
Give our services a try
Now that you know what Civic Legal are capable of delivering, you are invited to
try the service for yourself. Give us a call today.
Civic Legal has numerous satisfied local government authorities as clients and there
is no reason why your local government should not choose Civic Legal for legal advice
Civic Legal are proud to be principal sponsors of the Western Australia Local Government Association (WALGA). Click here to view photographs from our photo booth display at the 2012 WA Local Government Convention.